Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

Buckeye Balls!


This is a totally new recipe to me. I was explaining a fairly healthy snack I wanted to make Jared and he said..."If you are making something like that, I would much rather have Buckeye Balls. My mom used to make them all the time!" So I gave in... and no, they are NOT HEALTHY!!! haha

Buckeye Balls

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (I used unsifted and only 3 cups or 3 1/2 cups)
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening

Directions

  1. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and confectioners' sugar with hands to form a smooth stiff dough. Shape into balls using 2 teaspoons of dough for each ball. Place on prepared pan, and refrigerate.
  3. Melt shortening and chocolate together in a metal bowl over a pan of lightly simmering water. Stir occasionally until smooth, and remove from heat. Or an easier and faster way is to melt in the microwave for about 20-30 second intervals, stirring between each until smooth.
  4. Remove balls from refrigerator. Insert a wooden toothpick into a ball, and dip into melted chocolate. Return to wax paper, chocolate side down, and remove toothpick. Repeat with remaining balls.
  5. If you don't like the toothpick holes, you can smooth them over with your finger. If you want an artistic effect, I splattered the extra chocolate over the tops.
  6. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.

No comments: